Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One down, 11 to go!

It’s been one month!  One month of no gluten, no dairy, and no sugar.  One month of making sure I work out three times per week.  I made it through this month and I lived to tell about it!  It was touch and go there at the beginning.  During this one-month period, I have lost some weight, gained strength, and learned to tune out that little voice inside of my head that tells me I can’t do it.  My weight loss has not been as significant as I had hoped.  When I find myself in the midst of a pity party, I realize that this journey is about gaining strength, not losing weight.  Muscle does weigh more than fat, so I am going to try to ignore the scale and focus on my lifts getting heavier each week.  Maybe I will toss the scale into the trash.  My husband also has to remind me (daily) that this is a marathon, not a sprint.  Instant gratification is what we all want, right?  Well, years of mediocrity are not going to fade away instantly.  I am going to be the tortoise here; slow and steady wins the race. 


It’s funny how I have to remind myself of my goals almost daily.  I was at the pool with my family last week, and there was a group of ladies there with their children.  These women were gorgeous, tall, extremely thin, and rocking awesome two-pieces bikinis.  I looked at them longingly, in adoration of their slender Hollywood-like frames.  Then I reminded myself that while they are beautiful, I don’t want to look like them.  I want to look like me, with muscle definition.  I want to be able to Hulk smash anything that gets in my way!  Maybe turning into a green monster is a little extreme, but you get the idea. 

I am going to take each of the remaining 333 days one at a time.  I am going to be proud of myself for my successes and forgiving of myself when I have a misstep.  One down, 11 to go!

6 comments:

  1. You have the right attitude Kel!! You are beautiful already so who cares what everyone else looks like and remember that you look amazing! As long as you are happy with you, that is all that matters. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I take tissue with your years of mediocrity line.

    ReplyDelete