Saturday, July 21, 2012

The journey begins

First of all, what is operose?  The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines operose [op-uh-rohs] as tedious, wearisome.  Synonyms for operose include arduous, diligent, hard, industrious, and laborious.  It is the perfect adjective for the journey that I am about to embark on.

What is this operose journey, you ask?  I am going to spend the next 365 days eating clean and training hard.  No gluten, no dairy, no refined sugar, no JUNK.  For the specifics of my self-imposed rules, see the “rules” tab.  I am going to work my tail off in the gym AND in the kitchen to become a better, leaner, healthier me.  I already work out several times per week.  Working out is not my problem.  Eating healthfully is an extremely difficult task for me.  My sweat sessions are generally ruined when I refuel my body with cupcakes and macaroni and cheese.  Seriously, am I a five-year-old?!  Why in the world am I eating like one?  The mediocrity stops now.   

I spent last weekend watching the CrossFit Games with  my husband.  My husband is fit, lean, disciplined, and devastatingly handsome (you should see him).  I want to be like him.  How did the Cupcake Queen marry Captain Fitness?  That’s a post for another day.  We watched beautiful, lean, fit women compete in 15 different events designed to test strength, conditioning, and stamina.  I long to look and perform like these women.  



I am not delusional.  I know I am not going to look like this after one year.  Women like this spend their entire lives training in one discipline or another.  They are athletes.  I am not an athlete, unless you count my one season on the junior varsity tennis team in the 10th grade.  Since that was a L-O-N-G time ago, I think it is safe to say, I am not an athlete.  I believe there is an athlete inside everyone, and I am on a quest to find mine.  Starting today, I am going to look for her.  Let’s see if I can spend 365 days allowing her to come to the surface.  Only time will tell if I will meet her at the end of this adventure. 

I am going to hold myself accountable by posting weekly nutrition and physical training logs.  I will fully disclose everything I eat, including “cheat” items.  I will also detail the workouts I complete for the week.  I hope that you will help hold me accountable in my journey.  

2 comments:

  1. I think that you are pretty fab already but you want to become fab in another way then by all means... :))

    ReplyDelete