Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The obligatory before photo and stats

Every good fitness blog must have a “before” photo and statistics regarding the current state of the participant’s flabbiness.  While putting my height, weight, and body fat percentage on the Internet makes me want to run screaming for the hills, I suppose it’s my duty to disclose this personal information.  How else would you know if I am making progress?  If you choose to laugh or make fun of my current state, please do so where I cannot hear / see you.  Humiliation is not my idea of a good time.

Let me first give you some history.  Seven months ago, this was me.


This photo was taken four days before my son was born.  I dreamed of a nice, easy, natural birth.  My son had other ideas.  After twelve hours of labor, I had an emergency c-section.  I was exhausted, emotional, and I couldn’t move my legs.  I was not ready for the lengthy recovery that followed.  I was told not to drive for eight weeks.  I drove the day after I was released from the hospital.  My direction following skills are apparently below par.  I thought I would be able to get back into the gym right away.  Little did I know that it would take me several weeks to be able to walk to the end of the street.  I believe I’ve made great progress in seven months.  I can do sit-ups, I can do burpees, and I can do a plank for a minute.  All feats I never thought possible, post c-section.  I am five pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight; however, I am about 10 pounds away from my ideal weight.  Although, I am discussing weight here, my goals for this journey don’t revolve completely around weight loss. 

This is me today. 



You didn’t actually think I was going to do one of those before photos where I am standing in my sports bra and shorts, did you?  I have a little bit of dignity, and believe me that is not something I want floating around the Internet for eternity.  Just because I am not exposing my flab doesn’t mean it’s not there.  I assure you, it exists!  Please excuse the grime, I just finished a workout.  

Here are my current stats:

Height – 5’8”
Weight – 160 pounds
Body Fat Percentage – 27% *

* As a reference point, 25% body fat is considered overweight and 30% body fat is considered obese.  I am currently overweight and three percentage points away from being obese.  I obviously have some work to do!

I have no idea where I will be in 362 days.  I would love it if my body fat percentage were quite a bit lower.  Only time will tell.  

5 comments:

  1. Kell I think that you look great but of course I support you on this journey. I will do my best to follow your workouts and hope to get at least 5-10 pounds lower over the course of this year (sans a pregnancy that we are working on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look absolutely gorgeous missy! Here's to hoping a pregnancy comes into the picture soon!!! :)

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you are tracking at least two measurements - a single measurement can't provide an accurate picture of anything. Thanks for smiling in your before picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to my Scientist sister for pointing out that a single measurement can't provide an accurate picture of anything! HA!

      Delete