Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Paleo Bread


One fine morning, when I was wasting time trolling on Facebook, I saw an advertisement for Paleo Bread.  The Facebook page for this product peaked my interest, so I went to their website (http://www.paleobread.com/).  I was ecstatic when I saw that both varieties of Paleo Bread contained only six ingredients.  Paleo Bread comes in two varieties: almond and coconut.  The almond variety is made with almond flour, while the coconut variety is made with coconut flour.  Each of the remaining five ingredients are the same.  I chose to order the coconut Paleo Bread, as it has fewer calories per slice.  I was having a wicked bread craving, so I happily ordered my bread on August 11.  By the time it arrived on August 29, I was over it.  I was disappointed by the lag time between ordering my bread and receiving it. 

My bread arrived in a small box with a neon sticker on the outside indicating that it must be frozen upon arrival.  I was home when it arrived; had I not been, it would have sat on my sweltering porch for a few hours and probably would have spoiled.  My disappointment in the amount of time it took for my bread to arrive didn’t stop me from tearing the package open immediately.  The loaf was made up of 17 small slices.  When I took the first piece out of the packaging, I noticed it was extremely soft and almost melty.  I would attribute this to the heat, and its trek across the United States from California to Georgia.  



I ran to my kitchen, dusted off my toaster, and toasted a piece as fast as I could.  TOAST!!!!  Unfortunately, I was disappointed again.  The crust toasted, but the middle remained soft.  I wanted toast so badly that I toasted the heck out the bread, and the middle never toasted.  Bummer!  The only way I could get it to “toast” was to grill it in a skillet, as you would a grilled cheese.  A Panini press may work too, but I don’t have one. 

The bread doesn’t have a strong flavor.  Don’t be afraid, if you order the coconut as I did, it will not taste like coconut.  It tastes like what you pair it with i.e. peanut butter, butter, deli meat, etc.  I couldn’t get over Paleo Bread’s texture.  It is very dense and chewy in a strange way.  On a positive note, it does hold together nicely to make a sturdy sandwich. 

I would rate this bread a 3 out of 10.  It just didn’t work for me and I really wanted it to.  It has sat in my freezer untouched for several days now.  Sorry Paleo Bread!    

4 comments:

  1. I think its time to venture on your own in this realm - There are quite a few recipes out there. Maybe try making french toast out of it - minus syrup of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will try it out. What I really want is an entire loaf of sourdough bread!! Yummmmm! I did make french toast out of it... it sucked too! :)

      Delete
  2. I got really excited for a minute that maybe I could eat "bread" but now I don't think I will waste my money. Thanks for testing it out for us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I really wanted it to be good. But, it just wasn't! :)

      Delete