Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Super Dolphin Day 5K

On Saturday, February 22, my sister and I competed in the 35th Annual Super Dolphin Day 5K.  This was the very first 5K I have ever attempted to run.  I was excited and nervous on the morning of the race.  If you've been reading my previous blog posts, you will remember that leading up to the race, I was plagued by side aches.  I really didn't want a side ache to put a damper on my first 5K.

About two minutes after the gun sounded, signaling the start of the race, I got a crippling side ache.  I was furious, but I didn't want to give up.  I decided to use a breathing technique my friend Julie told me about.  I was elated when Julie's breathing method worked!  My side ache didn't go away, but it lessened and I never stopped running.  I'd wanted my sister to push my pace, but the side ache wouldn't allow it.  My poor sister had to slow her pace to run with me, but we finished and had fun in the process. If she had run at her normal speed, she would have placed second in her age group.  I did appreciate having a running partner, but when we run our next race, she is running at her pace and I am running at mine. Homegirl needs a medal!

The obligatory pre-race photo.  We never took a post race picture -- too sweaty!
Below are my stats from the race.  If you can believe it, I actually got a PR even with the side ache!  It was only a 9 second PR, but I'll take it.

Finish time - 29:40
Previous fastest time - 29:49
Ranking in the female 30-34 age group - 7th out of 19
Ranking out of 287 female finishers - 79th  

I had really hoped for a time in the 28 minute range, although I am pretty proud of myself for even finishing.  Our next race is the Turtle Crawl 5K on May 18.  It just so happens that my mom will be in town, so she is going to join us.  It should be a fun family event!

1 comment:

  1. Last time I'll say it... I came down to run with you - I run by myself all the time - the point (well my point) was to run together! As you said the most important part was that we had fun and that you achieved your goal to run the whole race! Looking forward to the turtle crawl!!

    ReplyDelete