Thursday, March 14, 2013

Training for what?

My husband often asks me why I am training.  It's a great question.  Why am I working out?  The only honest answers I can come up with are I workout for health and aesthetics.  Lately, I really couldn't care less if I workout, let alone if I eat well.  I am not sure why I have such an apathetic attitude about the whole thing.  I think I am just stuck in a stupid rut. Part of me just wants to be like the rest of the population, who eats what they want and doesn't fret about squeezing workouts into their day.  I long to be normal.  Let's be honest, I am about as far from normal as they come. All I know is working out for health and aesthetics is not fulfilling to me. Don't get me wrong, they are great reasons.  I just need to find other reasons.  I just wish I knew what they were...

3 comments:

  1. My mom was and is the skinniest person I know. Growing up I watched her eat snickers bars and drink Pepsi for breakfast, and not eat till dinner. She made us good food, but I started sneaking the "good" stuff and became a hiding binge water Nd have yo-yo'd ever since. I wish my mom would have led by example and done what you are doing! Or what I am now trying to do with Lena now, by losing weight and being healthy. I hope this gives you a reason, because I am so unhappy the way I grew up and how I look now! You and Liz are my motivation, I stalk you guys to push me, god knows I don't get it from my mom (even now Ishe doesn't understand why I am so fat, or got this way)! So I hope this helps! Love you big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! You're right that it is important to show our children how to eat for health. And, I want you to know that you are doing a great job! Each day it gets a little easier! Keep up the amazing work! I wish I lived in AZ so I could run with you and Liz!

      Delete
  2. I don't know but maybe you could try thinking about eating and working out in a different way. Training for something sounds so big sometimes - training for a mission "I'm training" always seems to me to need to be followed by " for a top secret black ops mission" and " I'd tell you about it but I'd have to kill you" ;) . But what if instead you thought about like saving for the future - where sometimes you save more and sometimes you save less given what you have on hand. But either way the amount is less important than the act to doing even a little. In the case of diet and exercise - you'll have more energy and generally be healthier than people who (you think) aren't fretting over their health. Or maybe like Jenn said you can just think of it like a teaching lesson. Teaching someone that movement (exercise) is an important part of life and food is something to enjoy as part of life but not something to obsess over.

    I understand the malaise - sometimes I am so obsessed with being better that I forget that I am good. You are very very good in many many ways, so try to remember that when you are feeling like better is out of reach. A person I consider wise once told me - Better can be the enemy of good. I try to think of this when ever "better" or "best" feels overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete