Wednesday, April 10, 2013

21-day sugar detox, day 4...

It's day four of my 21-day sugar detox.  So far, I feel pretty good.  I haven't had any crazy headaches or cravings, as a lot of people report in the first few days.  I will admit that yesterday I wanted to sail through the McDonald's drive thru and score a half sweet, half un-sweet tea.  It's my Tuesday ritual after all.  But, I didn't cave to that craving and I lived to tell the tale.  My biggest issue thus far is with drinks i.e. what to drink.  I can only handle so much water in a 24-hour period.  During the past few days, plain black tea and sparkling water have been my go to drinks when I get tired of regular h20.  As an aside, I challenge you to track the amount of calories you are drinking.  I think you will be shocked.

I have noticed a couple changes during this brief time.  First, I feel fuller longer after a meal.  I used to feel hungry throughout the day and that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.  I don't know if I can attribute this to the detox or if it's because I've been busy.  Either way, I like it.  Second, certain vegetables now taste like candy.  Yesterday, I diced up some peppers and tomatoes and they both tasted way sweeter than normal. Delicious!  Yes, I realize tomatoes are technically a fruit, but they are allowed on the detox.

If you recall in my last post, I discussed how I was allowed eight ounces of coconut water each day and one green apple.  If you have never tasted coconut water, I do not recommend it.  I don't care for it, as I think it tastes like dirt.  I will finish that last little bit that I have, since I am too cheap to throw it away.  I know there are a ton of benefits to coconut water, but it's really yucky!  As far as the green apple is concerned, that has been my go to dessert.  I generally eat it about an hour after dinner.  I am not the biggest fan of green apples either, but I think that as the challenge progresses the apple will taste less tart.

If you have done any research on the 21-day sugar detox, I am a level three, which is the most restrictive.  If you are going to try this detox, I suggest you start with the level one.  Otherwise, I think you are setting yourself up for failure.  Level three is generally for people who have already given up most gluten and dairy.  If you haven't looked at the specifics of the detox, check it out using the link above.  

I'm quite happy with where I am on day four.  Sometimes, I just need a little push to help me clean up my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment