Friday, April 19, 2013

Game over...

My 21-day sugar detox is over.  I made it almost 11 days before my weakness for sugar caused me to cave in to the cravings that I'd been trying to ignore.  As the days progressed, the detox got harder and harder and the cravings got louder and louder.  What did I do to derail myself after almost 11 "clean" days?  I ate corn chips -- lots of them -- and soy ice cream.  It was glorious and wonderful.  As an aside, when I derailed myself from the detox, I still stayed clean on my flab to fab plan.  It's the small victories that count.  

Was I mad at myself?  Yes, but not for long.  You see, about day six I decided this detox wasn't for me.  I can do pretty much anything I put my mind to, but this pushed me over the edge.  I have been working very hard in the gym the last couple of months, and this detox set me back.  Each time I worked out, I felt weaker.  On the days I completed my heavy lifts, I almost passed out.  I have no problem tweaking my diet, but I am not going to continue doing something that is messing with my progress in the gym.  Maybe that makes me weak, but maybe it makes me smart.  I don't really care which one it is, the fact of the matter is I'm done and I am fine with it.

The good news is that I learned quite a bit during my almost 11 "clean" days.  I am going to be smarter about when I ingest my sugar.  If I want to drink one of my iced tea k-cups, I am going to drink it immediately following a workout, so my body can metabolize it faster.  The same goes for fruit.  I am also going to try to eat more vegetables, as I have enjoyed doing that these past few days.  As an added benefit, my sweet boy has loved every new veggie he's tried during this time.  I am going to do my best to avoid refined sugar as much as I can, although I was doing that before.

I just want to make it clear to my readers that I complete detoxes and challenges as a way to better myself, not as a way to lose weight.  In fact, if you click the link above, the person who created the 21-day sugar detox specifically states that it is not a weight loss program.  As a reminder, I started my flab to fab program to find my inner athlete.  Weight loss has just been an added benefit post-pardum, and I am happy with where I am. I will continue my flab to fab program, because I made the commitment to create a healthier lifestyle for me and my family.    

No comments:

Post a Comment